University of Guelph Arrell Scholarship For International Students
The University of Guelph Arrell Scholarship is for rising academic stars who are fervently committed to making sure that present and future generations are fed, that diets are healthy and equitable, and that agriculture is sustainable.
Applications for scholarships are currently being accepted by the University of Guelph’s Arrell Food Institute for graduate students beginning their studies in the Fall [year] semester.
In addition to their graduate research, selected candidates will serve as team leaders on multidisciplinary graduate student teams that will collaborate with local, national, and international partners as well as the University of Guelph experts affiliated with the Arrell Food Institute to address global food issues.
Please consult the University of Guelph’s Experts Guide and Arrell Food Institute for information on some of the city’s experts in agriculture and food.
Table of Contents
Level/Field of Study
The University of Guelph Arrell Scholarship is open to postgraduate students who intend to further their research in food science.
The University of Guelph Arrell Scholarship is brought to you by the University of Guelph Arrell, one of the top universities in Canada
The University of Guelph Arrell Scholarship is an international scholarship. There is no restriction as to the nationality of intending student.
Eligibility Criteria for the University of Guelph Arrell Scholarship
Students with a minimum first-class (A-) admissions average who is starting a graduate program in the Fall semester after the application deadline, whose research ties in with the goals of the Arrell Food Institute, and who have the backing of a potential University of Guelph faculty advisor. Students may be permitted to postpone the start of the award in extreme cases with the consent of their graduate program and the Arrell Food Institute.
For details on how to determine your entrance average, please visit the OGPS admissions page.
Required Documents to Apply for the University of Guelph Arrell Scholarship
Candidates must be prepared to submit the following paperwork in order to apply for the University of Guelph Arrell Scholarship:
- a statement of your own goals and research interests, no more than two pages in length without references;
- a current CV;
- a letter of recommendation from a potential University of Guelph faculty adviser confirming acceptance into a graduate program.
- Before starting the application process, applicants are urged to seek assistance from a potential University of Guelph faculty advisor.
- Your potential adviser will receive an email from the online Arrell Scholarship application asking them to respond.
- Please make sure your potential adviser has got the email and inform them of the due date for responses (highlighted above).
Selection Criteria for the University of Guelph Arrell Scholarship
A scholarship selection committee will examine all application materials before reviewing them, and they will base their decisions on the following criteria:
- exceptional academic performance;
- relevance of the proposed research and individual motivation to the Arrell Food Institute’s mission;
- the CV, which demonstrates a commitment to civic involvement, and
- Candidates who are shortlisted for an interview with the scholarship selection committee.
Financial Coverage and Duration
- Master’s: up to two years at $50,000 annually (six semesters).
- Ph.D.: $50,000 per year for up to 4 years (12 semesters)
For the term of the award, the University of Guelph Arrell Scholarship will be applied to the recipient’s student account in three equal payments each year. A one-semester extension may be granted in extreme cases, with the Arrell Food Institute’s consent.
How to Apply
Please be mindful of the 12:01 AM due time mentioned for each deadline. For instance, a 12:01 AM deadline Applicants must finish the step before 2/22/[year], or by midnight on 2/21/[year], in order to meet the deadline.
- Before 12:01 AM on February 22, [year], begin the online Arrell Scholarship application and confirm your email.
- A confirmation email requesting you to confirm your email and Arrell submission will be sent to you after you complete the online Arrell Scholarship application. To continue your application, kindly click the link in the email.
- Apply online for a graduate program before 12:01 AM on February 22, [year].
- Please refer to Steps 4 and 5 in the application instructions for Applying to Guelph.
- Before 12:01 AM on February 28, [year], get a potential University of Guelph advisor’s response to your application for the Arrell Scholarship.
- Please utilize the University of Guelph email address (@uoguelph.ca) of your potential advisor. After you have verified your email and Arrell submission (see step 1), your potential adviser will receive an email with a link.
- Please make sure your potential adviser has got the email and inform them of the due date for responses.
- All application materials and references reach OGPS by midnight on March 3, [year].
- Please make sure you have submitted all the necessary documentation for your graduate degree application by referring to Step 5 in the Applying to Guelph application instructions.
- Complete your Arrell Submission before March 3, [year], at midnight.
- After your prospective advisor submits their response, you will receive a confirmation email for this stage. You confirm that you have submitted both your graduate program application and your Arrell Scholarship application by clicking the link in the confirmation email.