APPLY || LATEST European University Institute (EUI) Young African Leaders Programme for Mid-Career Professionals (2022/23)
Do not miss out of the currently ongoing LATEST European University Institute (EUI) Young African Leaders Programme for Mid-Career Professionals (2022/23)
Application Deadline: 7 April 2022 (23:59 CET)
In partnership with the European Commission, the EUI Young African Leadership Programme is a tailored fellowship and training program aimed at catalyzing and fostering the changes envisioned in the Africa Agenda 2063 and in the Africa-EU Partnership. In September 2022, the Young African Leaders will convene in Florence for the second time, following the completion of a pilot cohort in the fall of 2021.
It is a fellowship scheme that provides a unique opportunity for policy experts from Africa (from all regions) to further develop their policy work, as well as their professional and leadership skills, while working alongside international experts.
Furthermore, the Programme aims to build new networks by bringing together a strong cohort of leaders who are committed to driving change in their own countries and across the continent, as well as to close gender gaps and promote inclusivity in leadership positions.
In the dynamic academic environment of the European University Institute (EUI) in Florence, selected participants will take part in workshops, training and skills development sessions, conferences, and study visits in Europe. Interaction with the other fellows, policymakers and the academic community at the EUI will make this a truly unforgettable experience.
The structure of the Programme will be as follows:
- Executive Training Seminars on thematic issues;
- Professional Development Workshops, providing a set of leadership skills, tools and concrete case studies;
- Study Visits to EU institutions, relevant academia, and international organisations
- Final individual written assignment
- Award of the YALP certificate of attendance
- Connection to network of scholars and practitioners knowledgeable in relevant transnational governance
- The Programme targets mid-career, high potential policy-makers, diplomats, and professionals from Africa, working in national and local authorities, regional, continental, international organisations and development partners, civil society organisations, academia, media and private sector, in Africa.
- More precisely, the Programme is open to professionals (M/F/X), mid-career and executives alike, who are nationals of African countries, residing in Africa and are up to the age of 35.
- The three-month leadership programme takes place from the 1 September 2022 to the 30 November 2022. Fellowships are fully-funded with a grant of € 2,500 per month.
- The selected African fellows must live in the area of Florence for the duration of their stay.
- The language of the Programme is English.
- Where possible, the STG will seek to integrate French. The Programme has an intensive training schedule, and is therefore a full-time and fully-funded fellowship scheme.
Fellows must reside in the area of Florence for the duration of the Fellowship (1st of September 2022 – 30th of November 2022) so that they can take an active part in the activities of the EUI/STG and the fellowship programme (with the possibility of study visits outside Florence and Italy). The fellowship cannot be carried out remotely/online.
The basic grant is € 2,500 per month.
Successful applicants who receive other grants or salaries must disclose this to the EUI. The amount of the Fellowship will be fixed at a lower rate (minimum €1,750 per month) depending on the amount of the additional income (upon production of relevant supporting documents).
A household allowance of up to € 300 per month is paid to a fellow with a partner if the partner lives with them in Florence and on the condition that the partner’s income is less than € 2,000 per month. The sum of income and allowance cannot exceed € 2,000 per month (i.e. if the income is more than € 1,700, the allowance will be paid only to top up to € 2,000).
An allowance of € 200 per month is paid for each dependent child. Fellows are entitled to these allowances if they can declare that they are not receiving any similar allowance from another source, and upon submission of relevant supporting documents (i.e. marriage or partner certificate, or proof of cohabitation in Florence; birth certificates).
Fellows must have adequate medical insurance coverage during their stay at the Institute.
Fellows (but not their families) receive reimbursement for the incoming trip from their place of origin to Florence, and for the outgoing trip to their destination at the end of their fellowship.
- First-class rail (travel by car is also reimbursed on this basis).
- Economy class air fare
The maximum amount for travel reimbursement amounts to €1,200 including both incoming and outgoing trip. Taxi expenses are not reimbursed.
The application deadline for the 2022/2023 fellowship is 7 April 2022 (23:59 CET). There are two distinct phases in the application process:
- Register your application through the Online Application Form
- Submit your application by 7 April 2022 (23:59 CET)
For More Information: