Smartphones have surged in popularity in recent years to the point where the majority of Americans have one. Applications such as Facebook, Twitter and Instagram are some of the most popular downloads, but you can also download apps that can save you money on a daily basis.
Here are five of the best money-saving smartphone apps:
- Ibotta: If you buy groceries regularly, you could benefit from downloading Ibotta to your smartphone. Essentially, this application allows you to use your device similarly to a cash back credit card at the grocery store. Before heading to the store, you can select offers you want to redeem. Once an item is purchased, you simply snap a photo of the receipt and send it in for verification. Any money earned can be deposited directly into a PayPal account or redeemed for a gift card.
- SnipSnap: Have you ever found a great coupon in the Sunday paper but lost track of it before you can take advantage of the savings? If so, SnipSnap is the perfect application for your smartphone. Whenever you see a coupon, SnipSnap allows you take a picture and save it on your smartphone for later. In fact, when you walk into a store, the app will alert you if you have any coupons on your device that you could use.
- Gas Buddy: Filling up your tank is never fun, especially when gas prices are high. If you want to be able to find the most affordable fuel in your area, download Gas Buddy. By simply entering your zip code or city, this application will provide a list of all the gas stations in the area sorted by price. You may not think that saving a few cents a gallon is a big deal, but that adds up over time and can lead to significant savings.
- Retail Me Not: If you are a frequent shopper, the Retail Me Not app could become your best friend. Whether you are at Best Buy purchasing a new TV or Macy’s getting an outfit for work, this app could save you money. By simply searching the app for a store, you can find coupons and codes that could end up cutting the cost of your purchase. However, cashiers may be unfamiliar with the app so you may have to talk with a manager to get them honor your coupon.
- ShopKick: Another application that shop-a-holics need to download is ShopKick. By simply using the app you can earn “kicks,” which are redeemable for gift cards. To earn kicks, you have to complete various actions, such as walking into a store, scanning an item or making a purchase. Perhaps the best feature of the application is that it lets you know what kicks are in your area so you have to do little to no work to earn rewards. You can also refer friends and get 50 percent of the kicks they earn in the first two weeks.